Age Spot Treatment
Age spots can also be referred to as sun spots on the skin. They appear as flat red, brown, or black spots. These areas of uneven skin color are caused by the sun and are very common. Both men and women develop these uneven skin discolorations on different parts of their body including the chest, arms, hands, legs and face.
Once these spots are determined to be benign (non-cancerous), they may be treated with a laser skin care treatment. At Belleza Med Spa, an Alexandrite laser specific for spots is used. This high grade system is approved by the FDA.
How does it work?
Belleza Med Spa uses the Alexandrite to simply and effectively remove unwanted pigmented areas. Up to and 80% reduction can be achieved in the first session. A second treatment may be necessary.
What areas can be treated?
Most areas of the body can be treated. Most commonly treated is the face, arms and hands but the décolleté (chest) and legs can just as easily be treated.
Is it painful?
Anesthesia is not required – the only effect felt is a hot and tingling sensation that is well tolerated.
What results can I expect?
Significant reduction can be obtained with just 1 treatment; additional treatments may be required for complete resolution of larger areas.
Is it permanent?
The age spots can reappear if recommended after care instructions are not followed. Sun exposure to the area is strongly discouraged, including tanning beds. The hyper-pigmentation is caused by UV exposure. An SPF should always be worn for planned sun exposure but a daily moisturizer with a SPF30 is strongly recommended post treatment.
Is it safe?
Complications are rare. In less than 1-3% of cases, skin lightening or darkening may occur. Blisters can occur rarely. If these complications occur, they usually resolve with time. It is advisable to wear an SPF during the course of treatment and one month following treatment
Before your treatment:
- Inform your technician if any physician has ordered Accutane for you in the last 6 months.
- Use sunscreen at least 30 SPF.
- Avoid extended sun exposure, i.e. beach, travel to sunny locations, sunbathing, sports, outdoors a minimum of 4 weeks before your treatment.
- No vitamin A creams such as Tretinoin, retinoids, retinols or hydroquinone (skin lighteners), topical or over-the-counter acne meds, acids, glycolic acid or salicylic acid 2 weeks or longer prior to your appointment.
- Avoid neurotoxin injections (Botox) and fillers 14 days before and 7 days after treatment.
- No sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to treatment. Includes: spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, sun exposure, sun tanning pills etc.
- Inform your technician of any medical conditions or medications you are taking that might sensitize you to light, affect wound healing or affect coagulation.
- Must be off antibiotics for minimum 7 days for all laser treatments. *Must obtain prescribing provider’s authorization to stop*
Save at Belleza Med Spa
Save money on our monthly specials! Click below to see this month's specials and promotions, and be sure to check back again next month!