Brown Spots & Sun Spots
Laser Therapy is available for Sun Spots, Freckles, melasma, and Uneven Pigmented Skin Stay natural and beautiful. The general populous is affected by uneven facial pigmentation from brown spots, small round marks from sun exposure, freckles, hormones and birthmarks. These lesions are called “pigmented lesion.” Although some lesions can be cancerous, many are not harmful to the skin’s health, but they do detract from an even, luminous complexion.
What causes these unwanted spots?
Melanin gives our skin its color. The amount of melanin equals the lightness or darkness of our skin. Pigmented lesions are dark because the melanin is concentrated in one area of the skin due to overexposure by the sun’s damaging ultraviolet rays.
How does a laser remove unwanted pigment in the skin?
A Q-Switched Nd:YAG laser and Alexandrite laser creates a special wavelength of light that is absorbed by the pigmented lesions. The light vibrates and shatters the pigment breaking the melanin into micro-particles thus lightening up the lesion. The spot turns gray or white for a few minutes which is a natural response of the skin as it absorbs the energy. The spot then darkens and slough off completely within one to two weeks.
What types of pigmented lesions can a laser remove?
Lasers works to remove brown age spots, freckles, sun spots, melasma, and other brown birthmarks, such as cafe-au-lait spots and Nevus of Ota. Your physician will identify your specific type of lesion and discuss the best treatment.
Do lasers remove my normal skin pigmentation?
Yes, it can. However, the laser is specifically designed to target the dark concentrations of melanin. After the removal of the darker melanin, some whitening could occur. Your body’s natural regenerative ability will replace the normal melanin over time, returning the skin to its natural color.
How many treatment sessions will it take to remove the pigmented lesion?
Most pigmented lesions are removed within one to two treatments.
Is the process painful?
The PhotoAcoustic energy of a Q-switched Nd:YAG laser and Alexandrite laser emits light in very fast, short pulses. The impact of the energy from the pulse of light is similar to the snap of a very thin rubber band. No anesthesia is needed. After treatment, the area will feel similar to a mild sunburn. Redness will disappear within a day and the skin will return to its natural color.
Pigmented lesions do not return. Some birthmarks may return after a period of several months to a year. However, the procedure can be repeated. It is important to wear an SPF of 30 or higher to help prevent these lesions from returning.
What type of post-treatment care is necessary?
Very specific post treatment instructions will be discussed with you at the time of your consultation and/or treatment, and are easy to follow. Sun block will be applied to the area immediately after treatment. Keep the area clean and follow the post treatment instructions.
Can lasers treat melasma?
The advanced Q-Switched Nd:YAG laser for treatment of brown spots and melisma with its unique PTP setting (PhotoAcoustic Technology Pulse) provides extra power for effective treatment.
Talk to your physician about your skincare concerns and see if our lasers are the right choice for you. Belleza Med Spa has multiple excellent lasers for spot removal.
The RevLite is an advanced Q-Switched Nd:YAG laser for treatment of brown spots and melasma. The unique PTP setting (PhotoAcoustic Technology Pulse) provides extra power for effective treatment.
Before your treatment:
- Inform your technician if any physician has ordered Accutane for you in the last 6 months.
- Use sunscreen at least 30 SPF.
- Avoid extended sun exposure, i.e. beach, travel to sunny locations, sunbathing, sports, outdoors a minimum of 4 weeks before your treatment.
- No vitamin A creams such as Tretinoin, retinoids, retinols or hydroquinone (skin lighteners), topical or over-the-counter acne meds, acids, glycolic acid or salicylic acid 2 weeks or longer prior to your appointment.
- Avoid neurotoxin injections (Botox) and fillers 14 days before and 7 days after treatment.
- No sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to treatment. Includes: spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, sun exposure, sun tanning pills etc.
- Inform your technician of any medical conditions or medications you are taking that might sensitize you to light, affect wound healing or affect coagulation.
- Must be off antibiotics for minimum 7 days for all laser treatments. *Must obtain prescribing provider’s authorization to stop*
Save at Belleza Med Spa
Save money on our monthly specials! Click below to see this month's specials and promotions, and be sure to check back again next month!